Vegan Lettuce Boats
Great as a healthy snack, quick lunch or dinner during the summer months.
Makes 4 large lettuce boats – use organic produce where possible.
- 2 cups cooked chickpeas or butter beans (canned are ok to use) – mashed
- 1 large stalk celery, diced
- 1 small cucumber, diced
- 1 large carrot, grated, peeled
- 1 clove of garlic, minced
- 2 ripe avocados, pitted and mashed
- 1 1/2 tablespoons Dijon mustard
- 2-3 tablespoons lemon juice (or to taste)
- 2-3 Fresh sliced tomatoes
- Himalayan rock salt and black pepper to taste
To make up the lettuce boats:
Leaves from 1 head of Romaine lettuce, washed and dried
- In a large bowl, mash the chickpeas or butterbeans with a potato masher until slightly crumbly. Add mashed avocado, carrots, celery, cucumber and garlic to the bow and stir until all the ingredients are well combined.
- Stir in Dijon mustard, lemon juice, sea salt, and black pepper. Taste and adjust seasoning to your liking.
- To assemble, arrange the lettuce leaves in a single layer on a large platter. Scoop salad onto the centre each leaf and top with fresh sliced tomatoes.